All You Nees To Know About Agnipath: Here Is How Forces Are Going To Get Younger, Faster and Fitter

All You Nees To Know About Agnipath: Here Is How Forces Are Going To Get Younger, Faster and Fitter
All You Nees To Know About Agnipath: Here Is How Forces Are Going To Get Younger, Faster and Fitter

NEW DELHI: The Indian military is revising its recruitment procedure for individuals below officer rank, with the goal of deploying healthier, younger troops on the front lines, many on four-year contracts.

On Tuesday, defence minister Rajnath Singh unveiled the ‘Agnipath’ project, saying the “transformative effort would bring a youthful profile to the Army, Navy, and Air Force.” Men and women between the ages of 17.5 and 21 will be recruited for the armed forces under the new system.

This year, 46,000 soldiers will be hired on four-year contracts. “Under the Agnipath initiative, Indian youth would be given the option to serve in the armed services as ‘Agniveers,'” the defence minister explained.

After four years, based on merit, willingness, and medical fitness, 25% of the Agniveers will be retained or re-enlisted in the regular cadre. They will then serve another full term of 15 years. The remaining 75% of Agniveers would be demobilised, with an exit or “Seva Nidhi” package worth Rs 11-12 lakh, funded in part by their monthly payments, as well as skill certificates and bank loans to enable them transition into other careers.


Year Customised Package (Monthly) In Hand (70%) Contribution to Agniveer Corpus Fund (30%) Contribution to corpus fund by GoI
All figures in Rs (Monthly Contribution)
1st Year 30000 21000 9000 9000
2nd Year 33000 23100 9900 9900
3rd Year 36500 25580 10950 10950
4th Year 40000 28000 12000 12000
Total contribution in Agniveer Corpus Fund after four years Rs 5.02 Lakh Rs 5.02 Lakh
Exit After 4 Year Rs 11.71 Lakh as Seva Nidhi Package

(Including, interest accumulated on the above amount as per the applicable interest rates would also be paid)



  • A transformative reform of recruitment policy of the Armed Forces.
  • A unique opportunity to the youth to serve the country and contribute to Nation Building.
  • Armed Forces profile to be youthful and dynamic.
  • Attractive financial package for the Agniveers.
  • Opportunity for Agniveers to train in the best institutions and enhance their skills & qualifications.
  • Availability of well disciplined and skilled youth with military ethos in civil society.
  • Adequate re-employment opportunities for those returning to society and who could emerge as role models for the youth.

Terms & Conditions

  • Under the AGNIPATH scheme, the Agniveerswill be enrolled in the Forces under respective Service Acts for a period of four years.
  • They would form a distinct rank in the Armed Forces, different from any other existing ranks. Upon the completion of four years of service, based on organisational requirement and policies promulgated by the Armed Forces from time-to-time, Agniveerswill be offered an opportunity to apply for permanent enrolment in the Armed Forces.
  • These applications will be considered in a centralised manner based on objective criteria including performance during their four-year engagement period and up to 25% of each specific batch of Agniveerswill be enrolled in regular cadre of the Armed Forces. Detailed guidelines will be issued separately.
  • Enrolment will be undertaken through an online centralised system for all three services with specialised rallies and campus interviews from recognised technical institutes such as Industrial Training Institutes and National Skills Qualifications Framework, among others.
  • Enrolment will be based on ‘All India All Class’ basis and the eligible age will be in range from 17.5 to 21 years.
  • Agniveerswill meet the medical eligibility conditions laid down for enrolment in the armed forces as applicable to respective categories/trades.
  • The educational qualification for Agniveers will remain as in vogue for enrollment in various categories. {For example: For entry into General Duty (GD) soldier, the educational qualification is Class 10}.
Previous articleWhy You Must Experience Smile Foundation’s Project Manzil That Inspires Young Girls To Seek Aspiring Careers With 21st Century Employability Skills At Least Once In Your Lifetime
Next articleDo ‘Digital Yoga’ this International Yoga Day by going for a Digital Detox


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here